G’day everyone, how are we all this week, hope you all stayed dry and out of the rain. I’ve been promised that the rain wont come on saturday till after we pack up, so don’t get scared by the weather report and come out and see us.
Scapes are new this week. What are are you ask? they are the flower shoot from the garlic and are absolutely beautiful to cook with. Garlic scapes work well in soups, salads, stews, salsas, dips, guacamole, omelettes, frittatas, souffles, marinades, pesto, salad dressings, and stir-fry. They can also be pickled and added to homemade flavored vinegars. Scapes are also delightful when cooked into sauces.
Limes are also coming back, we have a few but more will come as the season progresses.
Due to the excitement around the salad eggs i will continue to bring them in till the chickens grow and the egg get bigger.
Here is an idea, how about making a salad using our mixed leaves, garlic scapes, and the salad eggs, and limes in our olive oil for which i have a recipe for.
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- 1 tblspn. of honey
- 1/2 tsp.chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 lg. garlic clove fine minced
- 1 tsp. fresh lime zest
- A splash of vinegar is suggested as needed or to taste (optional)
- fresh herbs could also be added such as mint to taste (optional)
How to make it
- Add olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, garlic, and lime zest into a spill proof jar or container with a lid.
- Shake well unitl all ingredients are mixed and honey is incorporated.
- Add optional ingredients if you wish.
- Refrigerate after using.
Hope to see you all at the market.